Homecare Medical Records CoderJob Location: Wallingford, CT Apply Via Application Submit Resume and Cover Letter
Homecare Medical Records Coder
Masonicare Home Health & Hospice - Wallingford, CT
Per Diem - As Needed
**THIS POSITION CAN WORK REMOTELY**
Coordinates all coding activities within assigned affiliate(s) and ensures that coding is timely, accurate and complete according to the established standards utilizing hospital approved/international coding nomenclature. Understands the mission of Masonicare and the department by recognizing the residents/patients we serve as unique persons, requiring individual alternatives to maintain full lives in their later years.
- Analyzes, assigns and sequences all diagnostic and procedural codes for all Homecare records within the established standards.Completes diagnostic coding for all Clinical Branches preferably within five days of service.
- Ensures that all relevant diagnoses are documented by clinicians and follows up with the clinical staff when information is incomplete or delayed, preventing timely coding and billing.
- Validates testing of all coding software applications for McKesson systems, conversions and system upgrades.
- Serves as an effective liaison between Quality Management and other staff with respect to coding issues, reimbursement and generation of reports utilizing the abstract module.
- Provides quantitative and qualitative statistics on a monthly basis and assists in the generation of monthly departmental quality improvement reports.Submits agency OASIS data to State of Connecticut on a weekly basis.
- Maintains knowledge and expertise in the area of coding through continuous education.Attends mandatory in-services as required.Maintains credentials by the use of coding seminars, books and other training materials.
- Provides monthly statistics, as needed, to report at different committees for Quality Improvement.
- Works closely with Medical Director to provide information on any Quality Measures that are not met by the Medical Staff, so action can be taken to improve them.
- Works with QM Department to compile the information needed to create a newsletter to the clinical staff in regards to coding issues and better documentation.
- Communicates effectively and tactfully with clients, recognizing their age, cultural diversity, needs, abilities and physical condition.
- Can be depended upon to report to work on-time, use time off appropriately, and complete annual education & medical requirements.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Completion of accredited coding program.CCS, CCSP, CPC, CPCH certification required.
- Associates Degree in Health Information Management or actively pursing degree.Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year coding experience in an outpatient setting.
- Maintains current Driver’s License and auto insurance.
- Possess reliable transportation (Exception: Employee who utilize public transportation—Supervisory approval needed).